Friday, September 14, 2012

Book Review: Rumors


Warning! As always, this review contains spoilers. The synopsis also contains spoilers from the first book, The Luxe.
Rumors


"After bidding good-bye to New York's brightest star, Elizabeth Holland, rumors continue to fly about her untimely demise.

All eyes are on those closest to the dearly departed: her mischievous sister, Diana, now the family's only hope for redemption; New York's most notorious cad, Henry Schoon-maker, the flame Elizabeth never extinguished; the seductive Penelope Hayes, poised to claim all that her best friend left behind--including Henry; even Elizabeth's scheming former maid, Lina Broud, who discovers that while money matters and breeding counts, gossip is the new currency.

As old friends become rivals, Manhattan's most dazzling socialites find their futures threatened by whispers from the past. In this delicious sequel to "The Luxe," nothing is more dangerous than a scandal . . . or more precious than a secret."


Author: Anna Godberson
Year of Release: 2008
Genre: Romance, Historical Fiction
Sequel(s): Envy & Splendor
What motivated you to read this book?: The Luxe made me want to find out what happened next!
Book Version: Hardback
Where did you get the book?: Half Price Books
Favorite Character: Henry Schoonmaker
Least Favorite Character: Penelope Hayes
Thoughts on Cover: Very pretty, definitely looks great for this sort of book
Recommended toGirls who like Victorian Lit, Historical Fiction, or books with lots of drama & those who have read The Luxe
Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars
Review: This book was such a slow read for me. I decided to read it because I thought reading a slow book would be perfect for when in school, but it irritated me how I was never in the mood to read because of this book. It was good, but definitely not as good as The Luxe. I never read more than a chapter or two a day. It never really picked up for me. 

I also never really had much interest in the relationship between Will & Elizabeth. It was cute, but not my favorite at all. I preferred Henry & Diana. I really like them. As for Lina, she is so completely selfish, it drives me crazy. I hate how she plans on abandoning Tristan completely. How rude, especially since he has helped her so much. She needs to realize how there is more to life than being rich and popular. And I absoutely hate Penelope. Readers of the book will understand why.

Overall, I thought the book was okay. I basically only felt the need to read it so I could finish it and start reading other books. I am still curious about what happens next especially after it leaves you hanging, but I'm not going to go out and buy it, like I did for this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. Just please do NOT post spoilers in them. Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...