Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Book Review: Clockwork Angel


Clockwork Angel

Warning!: This review has spoilers in it.

"Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still. 

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.


Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.


Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all."

Author: Cassandra Clare
Year of Release: 2010
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Historical Fiction
Sequel(s): Clockwork Prince & Clockwork Princess
What motivated you to read this book?: It's so popular & I loved The Mortal Instruments, so I figured I'd give it a try
Book Version: Hardback
Where did you get the book?: Library
Favorite Character: Jem
Least Favorite Character: Nate or Mortmain 
Thoughts on Cover:I like it. It's very cool. I like how the front of his face is hidden from view, and I absoultely love how you can see the Big Ben in the back ground. 
Recommended to: Fans of The Mortal Instruments
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
ReviewDespite being in the same world of shadowhunters, werewolves, vampires, faeries, and warlocks, it still had a different vibe to it than The Mortal Instruments books did. I found it to be interesting how things were ran in the shadowhunter world in the 1870's. I also enjoyed learning small bits of how life was in general in the 1870's. Before reading The Luxe & this book I had no idea that everyone, even underage people call each other Miss and Mr (i.e. Tessa was called Miss Gray and Will was called Mr. Herondale even though they were both underage), unless they gave another person permission to call them by their first name. I liked the formality of it.

I also liked how this book tied in to The Mortal Instruments books even though it took place 129 years before them. Like how Henry was the inventor of the Sensor that Jace used in City of Bones. That was pretty cool. I also liked how Magnus and Camille were in it. I also enjoyed the fact that William is Jace's Great-Great Grandpa or something and that there were Lightwoods and a few other characters who were obviously ancestors of some of the characters in The Mortal Instruments.

The story itself was very unique, kept my attention. However, it lacked the spark that The Mortal Instruments books have. It was still quite good. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the plot twists. Things occurred that I definitely did not expect to happen and those are always nice to have. I love being surprised. I was a bit disappointed in the romance though. I tried very hard to like Will. I really did. I just couldn't get myself to like him. He seemed so much worse than Jace. So inconsiderate and rude. I can't describe how disgusted I was with him. I hope he improves in Clockwork Prince. I really didn't understand why Tessa liked him. When reading the book I expected to fall for him, but ended up falling for the other guy, Jem. I loved his kindness and his gentleness. He seemed so sweet. I loved the part when he kissed Tessa's hand. That was adorable. Probably my favorite part of the book. The scene at the very end was really cute as well. Will acted like a jerk, then Jem comforted her. I really don't understand why she doesn't like him.

All in all, I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't my favorite book of Clare's. I still plan on reading Clockwork Prince to see what happens next!

2 comments:

  1. Well, you and I differ in opinion on Will. I loved him, much more than Jace even. Go figure!! Maybe I just like total jerks!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. Just please do NOT post spoilers in them. Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...