Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Book Review: Origin

                                                           Origin
                   
"Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost"


Author: Jessica Khoury
Year of Release: 2012
Genre: Science Fiction
Sequel(s): None, it's a standalone, however, there is a spin-off book called "Virto" about different characters
What motivated you to read this book?: I'm a fan of Breathless Reads on Facebook & this was one of them for Fall 2012. Ever since I read the description I knew I wanted to read it.
Book Version: Hardback
Where did you get the book?: Local Library
Favorite Character: Eio Farwalker or Pia
Least Favorite Character: Uncle Paolo
Thoughts on Cover: Very original. I like the jungle that surrounds the human and that the title is three-dimensional, so you can feel it. Very cool. 
Recommended to: Dystopian & Science Fiction Fans
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Review: I really enjoyed this book. I love science fiction, it is one of my favorite genres.  I actually didn't know what to expect from this book, but it is truly remarkable! I literally had to force myself to stop reading it so I could sleep, and the first thing I would do in the morning was read it! It's a very quick read. Each chapter ended in a way that made me want to keep reading to see what happens next. It didn't have a dull moment! I loved that.

The characters are very likable especially Pia and her love interest, Eio. Pia's Aunt Harriet grew on me as well just as Pia started to like her more and more. The plot itself was fascinating. I can only imagine living a life knowing that you would never ever die while knowing that everybody else will. It only puts things into perspective for me. I do not want to live forever even if there are others who are immortal too.

I really like the idea Khoury used of being mortal as living an eternity. I never really thought of that before. Being mortal while making the most out it, and facing death knowing that there is an afterlife that will last an eternity.

I was very pleased with this book and was truly amazed that the author was only 21 or 22 when she wrote it. There were many plot twists and turns that were so unexpected! It was great! I see a great feature for Khoury!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. Just please do NOT post spoilers in them. Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...