Saturday, August 3, 2013

Book Review: A Million Suns

A Million Suns

"Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. 

It’s been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. Everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceshipGodspeed.

But there may be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to act on his vision—no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder learns shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a mystery that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier. Their success—or failure—will determine the fate of the 2,298 passengers aboard Godspeed. But with each step, the journey becomes more perilous, the ship more chaotic, and the love between them more impossible to fight.

Beth Revis catapulted readers into the far reaches of space with her New York Times bestselling debut, Across the Universe. In A Million Suns, Beth deepens the mystery with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship."


Author: Beth Revis
Year of Release: 2012
Genre: Science Fiction
Sequel(s)Shades of the Earth
Prequel(s): Across the Universe & As They Slip Away (a novella)
What motivated you to read this book?: I loved Across the Universe, and started reading this book the day I finished reading Across the Universe, because I loved it so much!
Book Version: Hardback
Where did you get the book?: The library I work at
Favorite Character: Elder or Amy
Least Favorite Character: Luther, most likely, although there were other characters I didn't like
Thoughts on Cover: I really like it. It's perfect. The coloring is great with all the stars and planets! Plus, I love how it shows Elder & Amy holding hands without showing their faces! So pretty! This is how a cover should be done!
Recommended to: Science Fiction fans & those who enjoyed Inside Out & Outside In by Maria V. Snyder
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars

Warning: There are some spoilers in this review! There are also Across The Universe spoilers in it!

ReviewStunning!! Love it just as much as Across the Universe, maybe even more! It is a fantastic sequel. I absolutely love science fiction and this book did not disappoint in that category. I also found myself loving the mystery aspect as well. I haven't read a mystery book since I was a kid, but now after reading A Million Suns and Across the Universe, I might actually consider reading it again!

The two protagonists, Elder and Amy are great! I love how they were the same people that they were in the first book, but have grown so much. I enjoyed seeing Elder in charge of Godspeed rather than Eldest, but I definitely felt horrible for him when he was having such immense problems with the protests and riots! I really admired him for not giving up and for doing what he thought was best for the ship! I also really liked Amy as well. She definitely has grown and changed a lot. I didn't like though that she kept keeping a few things from Elder that she should have told him about in the last book, but I am glad that she did in the end. I also didn't like how she seemed so stubborn about getting one thing that she wanted at the end, but I guess that's because I sided with Elder on the issue. With my complaints aside, I really do like her. I admire her determination on figuring things out and how she's so smart in doing so!

I also love the romance element in the story. It's not like romance in other novels at all, when two characters meet then they fall in love with each other almost right away. This series is not like that at all. It's much more realistic and not rushed at all. I liked that. It made me enjoy the romance even more once it finally happened. It was nice seeing the growing fondness that Amy had for Elder. Elder obviously liked her immediately, but her feelings for him gradually evolved. I like how their friendship slowly turned into something more. I also like how patient Elder was while waiting for her to figure out how she feels.

The story itself was great! It was very fast paced. I could hardly put it down! One exciting event happens and then almost immediately another exciting event happens! It was great! And although I predicted most of what would happen (no major surprises, at least not for me, but I could just be a lucky guesser. Well, there was one part that kind of surprised me.), but I still enjoyed finding out if my predictions were correct.

Overall, I thought this novel was phenomenal and I would definitely recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this entire series from beginning to end. I loved that it's a sci-fi dystopian mix with a mystery too (and romance of course). Reading about how the people on the ship had to change and evolve over time was fascinating. Hope you enjoy the last one just as much--great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I loved book 3! Fantastic! Such a great series! I loved reading all of them at the same time!! :)

      Delete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. Just please do NOT post spoilers in them. Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...