Thursday, August 8, 2013

Book Review: Shades of Earth

Shades of Earth 

"Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience.

But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight.

Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing. 
FUELED BY LIES. RULED BY CHAOS. ALMOST HOME."

Author: Beth Revis
Year of Release: 2013
Publisher: Razorbill
Genre: Science Fiction
Sequel(s): none, last in the series
Prequel(s)Across the Universe, A Million SunsAs They Slip Away (a novella)
What motivated you to read this book?: Well, I had to find out what happens to my beloved Elder & Amy
Book Version: Hardback
Where did you get the book?: The library system I work in
Favorite Character: Elder 
Other noteworthy characters: Amy Martin, Emma Bledsoe, Maria Martin (Amy's mother)
Thoughts on Cover: I definitely prefer the original covers a lot more, but after reading why the publisher changed the covers on Beth Revis's website, I understand that they were trying to appeal to a wider audience. It's interesting to know that they were trying to appeal to SciFi fans considering that I thought the original covers were perfect SciFi covers. This cover reminds me of the Maze Runner series and all SciFi books in a series that all have similar covers but with a different color background. Boring! Oh, well. The story is still the same regardless.
Recommended to: Science Fiction fans & those who enjoyed Inside Out & Outside In by Maria V. Snyder
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars

Warning: There are some vague spoilers in this review

Review: Beth Revis has done it again! Shades of Earth ended this phenomenal series with a bang! She was able to keep the same characters who have grown and developed throughout the first two novels and put them in a completely new setting-Centauri-Earth. Not only that, but she has been able to create another wonderful story that ties mystery, science fiction, and my favorite, romance.

As always, I loved Elder in this novel. I liked him since the beginning of Across the Universe and I still love him. I just adore his kindness, selflessness, bravery, and ability to lead others despite being so young. I definitely felt bad for him though during certain parts of the beginning of the book. He will definitely be the character I miss the most now that I have completed the series.

I liked Amy as well. Of course, there were parts where I was annoyed with her. However, I assumed she would do certain things, but she proved me wrong, fortunately. I admire her determination and willingness to help those from Godspeed.

The mystery aspect of this story definitely seemed different from the mystery element of the previous two books. In the previous books, the reader knows that the bad guy is one of the passengers on the ship, but in Shades, the reader doesn't know who or what the monsters on Centauri-Earth are. I made a prediction and it was somewhat correct, but I never would have predicted the details behind my prediction!!

Like in Across the Universe and A Million Suns, Shades of Earth's plot was quite intense and made the book very hard to put down. There was seriously not a dull moment in the entire book. It jumped quickly from one scene to the next. I liked that a lot. There was also quite a surprise at the end of the book that I never thought would happen in this series, but I pretty content with how the series concluded. It could have had a few more chapters, afterwards, but then again, that would probably be unnecessary. I like how it ended focusing on Elder's and Amy's relationship. I also like how Beth concluded it in a way that makes it a satisfying ending, but also in a way that if she ever decided to write more, it wouldn't seem phony or fake.

Overall, I have been very pleased with this entire series!! I would definitely recommend it to any YA readers!! Brilliant read and if Beth Revis ever releases another book/series, I will definitely read it! Now, I'm just upset that it's all over, and that there are no more books or any opportunities to explore the universe with Elder and Amy.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book and the whole series. The ending...gah! I won't say anything to spoil it, but the whole blue/green thing and then what he says, the last line. Loved it!! Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. Just please do NOT post spoilers in them. Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...